Mr. Intense
I have a friend here who is from Pakistan. It was his birthday yesterday and he had a birthday party at the local Indian restaurant. There were a lot of people I didn't know, and a lot of people I hadn't seen since I began dating my ex-girlfriend. So it was good to catch up with the people I knew and meet those I didn't. I also met the most intense guy in Korea. Or perhaps psychotic is a better word for him.
Everyone was hanging out, talking, and having a good time. Then one voice became so loud that it made everyone quiet down to listen. Mr. Intense had begun talking about the bird flu and how we were all going to die if it mutates. Mass death is always a good birthday conversation topic.
Later in the dinner I was talking to a guy I had just met named Jamie. Here's the dialog:
"When does your contract finish?" I asked.
Jamie replied, "In five months."
"Do you think you'll stay another year?"
"Well, I've been applying for schools for September. I'll see how that goes."
"Wow! You have found schools that hire that far in advance. I only see schools that are looking for teachers immediately."
Mr. Intense said angrily, "He said schools. Real schools. What are you thinking?"
"Eh,wa-wa, uhh?" I asked dumbfoundedly.
"I mean graduate schools," said Jamie.
Mr. Intense left before the food arrived. I was happy to see him go.

3 Comments:
You should of punched the guy! Everyone would of thanked you and you would of been the hero of the evening.
Luis
I don't know what that whole bird flu thing is all about. I sort of noticed that those migratory birds I like to hunt haven't been flying as hard, but when you eat they raw they taste as juicy as ever.
Getting up early sure gives me a headache and makes all my muscles ache though. And if I could only do something about my runny nose and fever...
Raul
Silly Raul with the H5N1 - I told you that marinating those dead birds in flu vaccine before eating them raw wouldn't do any good. You never listen.
PS - I'll see you when you get out of quarantine.
Post a Comment
<< Home