Deep Kimchi

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

A few things

I added some pictures of the classes I teach. There is a picture of the class that makes me dread Mondays and Wednesdays. All of the kids are bad. The boys look the part in the the picture, but the girls look cute. Don't let the cute-ness fool you. I checked the definition of terrorists from the United Nations and I think this class qualifies: "Terrorism is an anxiety-inspiring method of repeated violent action, employed by (semi-) clandestine individual, group or state actors, for idiosyncratic, criminal or political reasons."

Also, Canadians are being rounded up by the hundreds and shipped out of here. An illegal English teacher ring has been discovered in which Canadians with no college education have been obtaining phony diplomas to come work here.

Nicole, the Canadian I work with, told me today that whenever a student says a word or phrase that is only found in America she tells them, "No, no. That is Mi-guk (America). Mi-guk is bad." When she told me this I asked her if she remembered that she was talking to an American. Her surprised look told me that she had in fact forgotten that I was an American. She then said she only says America is bad when kids say "Huh?" or "I want." She thinks kids should replace "Huh?" with "Pardon me?" and "I want" with "I would like." After she explained this I asked, "Huh?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home